Do you know why it was important for America’s Founders to establish Christianity as the official religion of America
in the State Constitutions of the 13 Original Colonies?
Because Wisdom is superior to strength and weapons.
King Solomon said, “A wise man scales the city of the mighty, and brings down the trusted strongholds”
(Proverbs 21:22). Also, “Wisdom is better than strength; Wisdom is better than weapons of war”
(Ecclesiastes 9:16, 18).I find it interesting to note that once religious liberty was established in America,
freedom and tolerance were also extended to atheists and secularists. Solomon spent time thinking through
the education of the next generation, the pedagogy for posterity. In Proverbs 2:1-7, he lectured the young man
on the value of Wisdom; and how to obtain it: “
1) My son, if you take my words [to heart] and treasure my commands within you,
2) if you pay close attention to wisdom, and let your mind reach for understanding,
3) if indeed you call out for insight, if you ask aloud for understanding,
4) if you search for wisdom as if it were money and hunt for it as if it were hidden treasure,
5) then you will understand the fear of the LORD and you will find the knowledge of God.
6) The LORD gives wisdom. From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7) He has res erved priceless wisdom for decent people. He is a shield for those who walk in integrity.”
The exercise of the first four verses produces the results of verse five: “Then you will understand the fear
of the LORD and you will find the knowledge of God.” But you’ve got to dig. A.W. Pink has said, “The Bible
is no lazy man’s book: much of its treasure, like the valuable minerals stored in the bowels of the earth, only
yield up themselves to the diligent seeker.”
Later, Solomon expanded on the value of Wisdom: “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom:
and with all your getting get understanding.
8) Cherish her, and she will exalt you; she shall bring you to honor, when you do embrace her.
9) She shall give to your head an ornament of grace: a splendid crown she will give you” (Proverbs 4:7-9).
Dr. Bruce K. Waltke analyzed verse
8, “‘and she will exalt you’ connotes to come to a high position in society, to elevate a person in his status and
authority, with all its benefits. In sum, her [Wisdom’s] lover will become an influential leader.” The by-product
of exalting Wisdom is that she gives one a leg up, and elevates rank in society. Men and women of faith with
Wisdom must bring biblical values to the public square if America is to survive, for virtue is a key component of
Consider the words of historian Benjamin Franklin Morris (1810-1867): “The state must rest upon the basis
of religion, and it must preserve this basis, or itself must fall. But the support which religion gives to the state will
obviously cease the moment religion loses its hold upon the popular mind.”
“This is a Christian nation, first in name, and second because of the many and mighty elements of a pure
Christianity which have given it character and shaped its destiny from the beginning. It is preeminently the land of
the Bible, of the Christian Church, and of the Christian Sabbath…The chief security and the glory of the United
States of America has been, is now, and will be forever, the prevalence and domination of the Christian faith.“