Pastor Rob McCoy is sworn in as a member of the Thousand Oaks, California, City Council. David Lane contends more pastors need to run for public office. (American Renewal Project)
Do you know why it was important for America’s Founders to establish Christianity as the official religion of America in the 13 Original Colonies State Constitutions? Because Wisdom is superior to strength and weapons.
King Solomon said, “A wise man scales the city of the mighty, and brings down the trusted strongholds” (Proverbs 21:22). Also, “Wisdom is better than strength; Wisdom is better than weapons of war” (Ecclesiastes 9:16, 18).
I find it interesting to note that once religious liberty was established in America, freedom and tolerance were also extended to atheists and secularists.
Solomon spent time thinking through the education of the next generation, the pedagogy for posterity. In Proverbs 2:1-7, he lectures the young man on the value of Wisdom; and how to obtain it:”
1) My son, if you take my words [to heart] and treasure my commands within you,
2) if you pay close attention to wisdom, and let your mind reach for understanding,
3) if indeed you call out for insight, if you ask aloud for understanding,
4) if you search for wisdom as if it were money and hunt for it as if it were hidden treasure,
5) then you will understand the fear of the LORD and you will find the knowledge of God.
6) The LORD gives wisdom. From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7) He has reserved priceless wisdom for decent people. He is a shield for those who walk in integrity.”
The exercise of the first four verses produces the results of verse five: “Then you will understand the fear of the LORD and you will find the knowledge of God.” But you’ve got to dig. A.W. Pink says, “The Bible is no lazy man’s book: much of its treasure, like the valuable minerals stored in the bowels of the earth, only yield up themselves to the diligent seeker.”
“God’s protection is not a reward extraneous to the knowledge,” Dr. Michael V. Fox commented in his book Proverbs, “but rather a consequence intrinsic to it.”
Later, Solomon expands on the value of Wisdom: “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting get understanding.
8) Cherish her, and she will exalt you; she shall bring you to honor, when you do embrace her.
9) She shall give to your head an ornament of grace: a splendid crown she will give you” (Proverbs 4:7-9).
Dr. Bruce K. Waltke analyzes verse 8, “‘and she will exalt you’ connotes to come to a high position in society, to elevate a person in his status and authority, with all its benefits. In sum, her [Wisdom’s] lover will become an influential leader.”
The by-product of exalting Wisdom is that she gives one a leg up, and elevates rank in society. Men and women of faith with Wisdom must bring biblical values to the public square if America is to survive, for virtue is a key component of freedom.
Consider the words of historian Benjamin Franklin Morris (1810-1867):
“The state must rest upon the basis of religion, and it must preserve this basis, or itself must fall. But the support which religion gives to the state will obviously cease the moment religion loses its hold upon the popular mind.”
“This is a Christian nation, first in name, and secondly because of the many and mighty elements of a pure Christianity which have given it character and shaped its destiny from the beginning. It is preeminently the land of the Bible, of the Christian Church, and of the Christian Sabbath … The chief security and the glory of the United States of America has been, is now, and will be forever, the prevalence and domination of the Christian faith.”
A year ago, we sent out a column titled, “WILL YOU RUN?” My pastor Rob McCoy ran for the California State Assembly in 2014. It was an extremely close race, even though $6.3 million had been spent against McCoy by the opposition. But a week after election night, the election was called for his opponent.
I wrote, “During the spirited campaign, Rob ignited a grassroots, precinct-level army of 650 volunteers. The flock of God hungers for leadership in the battle for restoring America’s Judeo-Christian heritage and reestablishing a Christian culture.”
In June, Pastor Rob was elected to the Thousand Oaks City Council.
When Rob ran for CA Assembly in 2014 many experts cautioned him that the church he pastors would suffer, giving would decrease and members exit. The opposite occurred:
- Rob spoke all across the district at Forum she held “coffee’s” in 150 living rooms across the district
- his campaign manager sent from Sacramento to “babysit the Evangelical Pastor” came to Christ
- the church grew and Rob touched the lives of individuals across the 460,000 citizen district; most of whom would never have darkened the door of a church
- Pastor Rob’s aggressive outreach resulted in 650 volunteers being inspired to join the cause of bringing our values—Christian values—to the public square. These experience of these volunteers, mainly first time activists from different denominations, was so profound that many non-believing volunteers came to Christ.So far in 2015, 2,000 or so pastors and a few spouses have attended Issachar Training. To date it appears 300-350 pastors are running for city council, county commissioner, school board, mayor or congress in 2016.Unless otherwise specified, the opinions expressed are solely the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the views of Charisma Media.
- We simply need a Gideon or Rahab to stand.
- Politics is a contact sport, but if America is to be saved:1) men and women of faith must return to the public square and 2) pastors must reestablish prayer in the churches of America.
So far in 2015, 2,000 or so pastors and a few spouses have attended Issachar Training. To date it appears 300-350 pastors are running for city council, county commissioner, school board, mayor or congress in 2016.
We simply need a Gideon or Rahab to stand.
Unless otherwise specified, the opinions expressed are solely the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the views of Charisma Media.